23 February 2009

Hill 154 - The Andreivian-Turk Account

Account by Steven Carr:

The story of the battle Hill 154 and the tragic fate of the heroic Andrievian Turk volunteers who went to the aid our brothers of the Turkish army as told by a wounded survivor who has just made it back to his village.

After receiving information that there was going to be an attack on the Turkish radar site on Hill 154 we small band of volunteers, armed only with light automatic weapons and grenades, set out to fight alongside our Turkish brothers.  

After a long hard march across the desert we caught sight of the hill and its radar site.  The Andreivian forces were already making their attack.  We decided to make for a low rocky hill within range of the radar hill, where we would set up a base of fire to provide support for the defenders of the site.  We approached with caution fully expecting the Andreivians to have set up their own base of fire on the hill.  But no, the hill was unoccupied! We quickly took advantage of the cover on the hill and took up firing positions.  Before us the battle raged. 

To our front the Andrievians with infantry, a tank and APC were on the approaches to the radar site and were fully occupied trying to attack the site while also trying to prevent interference from a large band of, very well equipped, Armenian bandits.  The Turkish defenders seemed to be in some confusion, leaving their bunker, sometimes firing a LAW, retreating back inside before coming out again.  From the safety of the bunker they successfully wiped out an Armenian unit that had just reached the first large plateau on the hill.

To our left what looked like a reserve force of Andrievian gendarmes were milling about.  We don’t know if we were spotted but this reserve unit started to move away from our position, moving into line of sight of the observation slits. They were subjected to fierce plunging fire from above and retreated back towards our position.  This was our chance. We opened fire and hit ….. nothing.  We did however, attract the attention of the Andrievian command, who called in an airstrike.  An Andrievian Skyhawk streaked over our position. The bomb landed in our centre but we were such good cover that only two of us were wounded.

In the meantime the Andrievian tank was pouring shot after ineffective shot at the radar bunker and their infantry were struggling to get through the wire.

After recovering our senses we turned out attention to the Andrievian reserve again.  Our next two bursts of fire put paid to them.  Our next objective was to join our Turkish brothers on the hill to help them fight off any further attacks.  

In front of us, on the lowest slope of the hill, the Andrievian and  Armenian APCs had been fighting at point blank range.  This fighting became confused.  The Armenian APC caught fire and their infantry swarmed over the Andrievian APC.  A sudden catastrophic explosion ended this fight as a NATO jet thundered in and scored a direct hit on the melee.  The Armenians had had enough they fled the field.    

On the hill the Andrievian tank was manoeuvring around to try to get a shot at a more vulnerable part of the bunker.  Suddenly there was a mighty crack and the tank exploded. Had the Turkish LAWs finally hit their mark?  Anyway it was problem solved for us. By this time, the Andrievian commander had personally led his troops over the wire and was sheltering in a dead spot at the wall of the bunker.  Not for long. The Turkish infantry came out again and wiped them out.  We prepared to join our Turkish brothers.  

Our commander wanted us to move but because of our position in thick cover we became confused and it took a while to organise ourselves.  Finally we moved.  Most of the group broke cover and moved across open ground.  Only I, and my wounded comrade became separated, moving slower because of our wounds and didn’t clear the cover of our hill.  Suddenly a boxy APC appeared around the corner of the escapement to our right.  NATO infidels!  A few of our number got off a quick burst of fire.  The APC stopped dead.  Unfortunately it was not alone and two more APCs appeared.  Heavy machine gun fire started to land among our group.  Tragically the Turkish troops opened fire in support of their NATO allies and our brave little band of heroes was destroyed.

No comments: